Pages

Pimp My Ride


We decided to bite the bullet on Friday and buy me a bike.  The last time I really rode a bike was probably when I was in the 4th grade, so it has definitely been an adjustment switching back to this mode of transportation.  But as I commented in an earlier post, this is how lots people get around in Italy, so when in Rome...er, Vicenza.

I've never been the best at stopping and have two huge scars on my arms and elbows to prove it.  It's so much easier on those bikes that only require you to back pedal to slow down or stop.  You know, the ones that also come with training wheels.  Make me pedal with my feet and stop with my hands?  Now, that's just asking for trouble.  The guards at one gate start laughing when they see me coming.  They start laughing and move out of the way.



It's Army procedure to wear my helment when I'm on post.  It's John Ralph procedure to wear my helment when I'm within 10 feet of anything with wheels.  At first I considered protesting the latter, but judging by the bruises on my shins, I should probably practice a little more before presenting my argument. 

As much as I wish those were really cool lights on my wheels, it's really just the reflection from the camera flash.  My bike is, however, Gamecock colors and I have some pretty neat mud flaps, a head light, and a bell.  I'm also searching on Amazon.com for a basket to put on the front.  The tires are a hybrid between a mountain bike and a road bike.  I talk like I know what that means, but who am I trying to kid? 


I'm excited to try out the head light, but we usually don't ride at night.  That bell?  Buddy, you can hear me coming from a mile away.  The other day it was a little chilly, so I was wearing a light weight cardigan while biking.  I got up a little speed and it started flapping behind me like a cape.  Just wait until I get that stopping thing down pat and there's no stopping this girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment