Pages

For the birds

Every morning, just after sunrise, a little dove starts cooing right outside of our window.  It's very similar to the mockingbird that used to sit right outside of my window back home.  Except I don't want to kill the dove.  Moving on...

So this morning I opened our window to air out the hotel room.  You should do this on a daily basis here in Italy because of the mold issues they have.  The walls are made of concrete and they're supposed to be a "wonderful breeding ground for mold".  (This is the stuff they tell us during in-processing.  Lovely, isn't it?)  Airing out a room is supposed to help dry it out, which equals less mold.  It's not uncommon to empty about 10 litros of water out of a dehumidifier daily.  Again, I digress...

So the window was open, the church bells were chiming, the dove was cooing.  And I thought to myself "Gee, that dove is cooing a little louder than usual.".  So I look to my left and realize the dove was cooing a little loudly because it was ON MY WINDOW SILL THINKING ABOUT JOINING ME AS I TYPE THIS BLOG POST.  For about 10 seconds we had an animal faceoff.  Me against the dove.  I needed to make a move and I needed to make a move fast.  So like a crazy woman I jumped across the bed flinging my arms around trying to dissuade this thing from coming in and having a cup of coffee. 

My plan of attack worked and it flew back to it's tree, where it is now cooing again.  The only catch is the tree is inside of a dog's fence.  And now the dog is sitting and howling at the dove.  I can only imagine where this will lead. 

I wish I could make this stuff up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment