Pages

Afternoon trip to Verona


Yes, that is a beer that we ordered at McDonalds. 


We went to Verona yesterday because John Ralph had the day off.  The town is also known as "Piccola Roma", or Little Rome, because of the similarity in monuments and political importance.  It is also the setting of Romeo and Juliet.


Behind us is the Arena di Verona.




We happened to stumble upon the oldest wine tavern on written record.  After a few glasses of wine, two of the guys decided to give grappa a try.  Imagine grape tequila.  The smell alone brought tears to my eyes.  This is Mike trying to convince himself to drink it. 


While standing outside, enjoying our wine, I overheard two older men talking and knew they had to be from the south or close to it.  Turns out they were from Virginia, but one was born in Italy, where his family owned a vineyard.  We got a little lesson on wines from different regions of Italy.  Northern Italy is known for their white wines.  When we asked what was the best we were told "whatever wine you like...that is the best."



Just another bell tower.




We went to see the opera La Boheme.  It was inside the coliseum (Aren di Verona), and I had a "moment" while I was sitting there and realized just how much history was in that old, stone building. 


A fun story to end with:  One of the kindergarteners I taught during my internship was an autistic boy and was also, quite possibly, my favorite student ever.  His creativity was beautiful and when the two of us would talk, we could have some of the best conversations.  One day he handed in a story and I noticed all of the words had extra letters, for example "long" was "looooonnnng".  The entire story was written like this.  When I asked him what the extra letters were for, he responded "I decided to write my story in opera writing."  He was brilliant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment