Pages

A city after my own heart


Vicenza is having a chocolate festival all weekend long.  One of the perks of living downtown is that I only have to walk about 50 yards to the nearest vendor ready to sell me as much chocolate as my little body can handle. 

It's like Italy is trying to apologize to me for being so bass ackwards and difficult sometimes. 

Well, Italy, apology accepted. 

Some of you may know this already, but I love chocolate.  Any kind of chocolate.  Chocolate chip cookies.  Brownies.  A Hershey's bar.  Hot chocolate.  If it has chocolate in it, I'm going to eat it. 

This afternoon, my friend Rita and I decided to go scope it out and see what this festival had to offer.  They had tons and tons of truffles, and chocolate covered nuts and fruit, as well as chocolate molds of different things (think chocolate easter bunny).  They also had huge slabs of chocolate, which I don't really know what you do with.  I'm not sure if you buy parts of the slab, or if you get the whole thing.  Some places had Cioccolata Calda (hot chocolate), others had crepes, and we even saw chocolate pasta. 



These are some chocolates I purchased today.  (From top left, clockwise, then center)  Cappuccino, Coconut, Mint, Pistachio, Hazlenut, and Caramel.  I don't remember any of the Italian names.  I also haven't tried any of these, so I'm not sure what they taste like.  They are almost too pretty to eat. 


These are some chocolate covered hazlenuts (with the exception of the large ones).  When I bought them, I thought they were more than just hazlenuts, but now that I've tried one of every size and color, I see that I was wrong.  As for the larger ones, I was expecting them to be chocolate covered pecans or something of that nature, but they aren't.  Somehow, they got chocolate liquor in the middle of those jokers.  Not at all what I was expecting...but not at all a bad thing. 

I ended up getting an assortment, thinking I would save some for John Ralph when he returns from Germany.  Let's just say they might not last until he gets home next week.  I think tomorrow I'm going to try a crepe and maybe get some chocolate covered fruit. 

This festival is, hands down, the best idea Italy has ever had.  And yes, in case you were wondering, I do in fact plan on going back every single day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment