Pages

A Wonderful Man


Late on Sunday night, surrounded by those who love him deeply, my grandfather passed peacefully in the home he spent most of his life building (both literally and figuratively).  I struggled with whether or not I wanted to share my memories, so personal and special, on such a public forum.  However, I decided that I will be happy to have this record to look back on in the future.  I want to document some of my favorite moments with him, so that as time passes and memories fade, I can return to this and be reminded of all the many reasons we loved him so.

  • He always filled up our bike tires when we thought they "needed" it.  Even if they weren't flat.
  • Circus peanuts and peanut butter candy.
  • He could make us anything we wanted out of wood.  A stool, a desk.  And he would fix whatever was broken.  
  • I loved the smell of his shop.  Wet cement, saw dust, and chewing tobacco. 
  • Swinging and rocking on the front porch.
  • Golf cart rides.
  • Haunted hay rides around the trail on Halloween.
  • His hand cut Christmas trees he would find in the back yard.  
  • Arguing with the people on Judge Judy and then chuckling about how dumb they were.  
  • The way he loved my grandmother.  
  • Playing Johnson had an old grey mule and Went to town on his knee.
  • He built the best fires.
  • Picking apples off the top of the tree using the can he nailed to a really, really long piece of wood.
  • Watching Ray Stevens 
  • When he and Memaw figured out how to Skype me on their own.
  • His extensive pocket knife collection.
  • Beach trips with the whole family, although he would only walk to where he could see the ocean and that was "close enough".
  • Sitting in church with him and laughing when he would "rest his eyes" during parts of the service. 
  • He loved all of his grandchildren an astronomical amount. 

When I went home over Thanksgiving, I was lucky enough to get to spend some quality time with him.  We laughed and chatted like normal, and I will always be grateful for those last wonderful moments I spent with him.  I find comfort knowing that he is whole and well again with the Lord.



If you have a special memory of him, I would love for you to share it in the comments section.

Please keep my family, especially my grandmother, in your prayers as we continue to find healing and comfort during this time.  

1 comment:

  1. We were all very lucky to have him as a father or grandfather.

    ReplyDelete