Pages

Venice


Venice is where we called home for the majority of the trip.  While it's not necessarily in my Top 5 Most Favorite cities, it definitely goes into my Top 5 Most Beautiful category.  Really, the only reason I don't love Venice is because there are so many people.   

I'll tell you the secret to Venice.  The secret is to get up and go for a walk before 8:00 AM.  If you get out while the sun is rising, the city is magical.  Walk around while the boats are bringing in fresh produce, pastries are coming hot out of the ovens, and parents are walking their kids to school.  Very few people are out and about, and you get to experience the city in the way I think it was meant to be experienced.  

Being back in Italy was amazing.  It truly felt like I was home again.  All of our Italian neighbors were surprised to see us, but they mostly just wanted to know where Darby was.  It was great to see old friends (although I didn't get to see half as many people as I wanted).  And don't even get me started on the food and coffee.  

At the end of my two weeks there, a new Italian friend asked "what is it about Italy that I love so much".  As I fumbled around my words, I finally expressed that there isn't really a way to describe my love for the place.  It's a feeling.  It's everything.
















No comments:

Post a Comment