Pages

Cinque Terre: The Hike

The hike we made in Cinque Terre was really beautiful.  As I mentioned before, several of the ocean view walks were destroyed by a landslide this past October.  So now, the only way to walk between some of the towns is by going above the towns and into the hills.  We more or less stumbled upon the trails, but since we had already been considering it, we decided to make the hike. 


Here we go!  These stairs took us up above the second town.


Little boxes, on a hill side.


Our future neighbor, farming his land on a nice Saturday morning.


The hills and olive trees. 


Good thing I have small feet...parts of the trails were teeny tiny.


We started walking in that little town waaaay down there.


This was about half way through the hike.


Oh, and that little town waaaay over there?  Well, that's the town we still needed to get to. 


The way you make the walk is up the hill, then across the top of the hill in the grape vines, then down the hill.  The grape vine part was definitely the scariest for me.  It was straight up on one side and straight down on the other.


Slowly but surely making our way there.


I'll go ahead and tell the truth.  I totally almost passed out at this very spot.  I'm talking tunnel vision, cold sweats, and no color in my face.  Something about this part just freaked me out.  There was literally nothing at all to catch you if you slipped.  N-o-t-h-i-n-g.  I just had to take a moment and hold on tight to a grape vine and pray that the earth wouldn't just crumble away underneath me.  Once I got the ground to stop spinning, I was good, but for a second I thought I was a goner.  Let's just say I gave myself the World's Greatest Pep Talk every time I had to put one foot in front of the other.


Phew!  Finally made it to a wider trail with a little brush to break my fall. 


Almost to the town.


We finally made it!  Someone was ready for lunch.


Exploring the town in search of some good food and cold beer.  Unfortunately we didn't stop in Fannybazar. 


We ended up getting a nice insalata mista and pesto pizza right down the street from this little guy.  Part of us thought about making the hike into the next town, but after a cup of gelato, we decided the train would work just fine. 

After exploring the other towns, we went home for a tiny nap, and then headed out for dinner.  I have a few more pictures to share from our dinner and of the loot we brought back home.  I'll share those soon!

Ciao for now!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for posting this. Can you tell me where to start the hike? My fiance and I are going there for our honeymoon and I'd like to hike the trail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The start of the hike isn't exactly labeled, but you walk out of Manarola towards the hills. I think the markings to look for were red and white stripes. The start will be on your left and it's through some olive trees. You will probably see other people walking it, so follow them. We followed trail 6 up to 6d, then took 6d over to 7a, and 7a will take you down into Corniglia. It's a beautiful hike!! Also, you can get a trail map from the train stations and they are very easy to read and helpful. The trails are well labeled and easy to follow once you're on them. Hope this helps and enjoy your honeymoon!

      Delete